Large brown and white spider and cocoon in the making
February 22, 2010
Hi- we found this spider near a boardwalk in Corkscrew Swamp, in or around Collier County, FL in mid-October. It was too far away to see clearly without the camera, but it seems in the picture to be “furry.” When it was scrunched up it was about the size of a half – dollar. The other picture was in the same place on the same trip. It was right on the edge of the swamp surrounded by a myriad of cypress trees. There were tons of these cocoons all over, and the leaves they were on were practically stripped (by the caterpillars, I’m guessing). I.D. would be appreciated!
Sammy
Collier County, FL

Six Spotted Fishing Spider

Hi Sammy,
Crazy:  the letter and photo we just posted also came from the Corkscrew Swamp.  Your spider is a Nursery Web Spider, Pisaurina Mira.  The female is a hunting spider that is related to the Fishing Spiders, and she constructs a web in the branches for a Nursery.  BugGuide has photos and information on this beautiful spider.  We will address your other image in a separate posting.

Correction thanks to Eric Eaton
Hi, Daniel:
The “nursery web spider” from “Sammy” in Collier County, Florida, dated Feb. 22, is actually the six-spotted fishing spider, Dolomedes triton, in one of its various color forms.