Orange (Black-winged) Leaf Sucking Insect?
February 19, 2010
Hi Bugman,
I found this interesting insect under a leaf and it doesn’t seem to be bothered by me getting close and taking pictures of it. It has long black wings that form a V shape (perpendicular to the body).

Derbid Planthopper

It seemed that it was busy sucking on a leaf… with it’s mouth (or snout) stuck in the vein of the leaf.
I tried searching the whatsthatbug or the net, and I don’t know if I hit the correct key words to get any good search results.. 🙁
Thanks a lot for your help!
zybertooth
Singapore

Derbid Planthopper

Dear zybertooth,
At first we thought this was some species of Fly in the order Diptera, but now we believe it is a Planthopper in the superfamily Fulgoroidea.  It resembles one North American species pictured on BugGuide.  We have not had any luck matching your amazing photos to anything posted online, but we will enlist the assistance of our readership on this identification.  We will also contact Eric Eaton to see if he concurs that it is a Planthopper, or if he can confirm our original suspicion that it might be a Fly.

Derbid Planthopper

Eric Eaton Agrees
Planthopper, definitely.  Lois O’Brien would know, of course.  Maybe Derbidae?
Cool image!

Hi Bugman,
I just found out from a friend who’s a nature enthusiast that this is a Derbid Bug.
FYI,
zybertooth

Location: Singapore