Identify unknown insect possibly beetle
February 17, 2010
Wehave thousands of these bugs on our screened porch, in the roof ridge and attic vents, outside walls, kitchen, bedrooms, living room, etc. They are very slow moving at any time of year and appear harmless to people. Mainly s curiosity.
Bob Weber KSQ
Kennett Square, Chester County, PA, USA

Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs

Hi Bob,
You have Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs, Halyomorpha halys, a species that was introduced from Asia where it is an agricultural pest.  According to BugGuide:  “They sometimes invade homes in the winter by the hundreds!
”  Here is a link to a fact sheet on Invasive.org that shows the entire life cycle.

Thanks a million Dan, you guys are the best – I don’t care what anybody else says about you. You are extremely timely, accurate and thorough and a fantastic service for us laypeople annoyed by invasive bugs.
I have read some of the literature you pointed to and it seems as though the synthetic pyrethroid insecticides indicated are not very effective due to sunlight deactivation in a few days.  I think BMSBs may be sensitive to Spectracide Bug Stop indoor plus outdoor insect killer which I have used during the past six months to reduce spiders, centipedes, thousand leggers , etc. which have profusely invaded our daylight basement by spraying all windows and doors perimeters as well as spraying the floor wall corners and joist wall corners throughout the basement.
I did notice masses of these BMSBs at the attic peak vents and ridge vents when I was exterior prepping and painting this past September/October.  I will try spraying these points from the outside and inside as well as the porch and attic.  I have also gotten BAYER Advanced Home Pest Control Indoor & Outdoor Insect killer which is supposed to have a 9 month residual – to keep killing throughout the fall and winter – however, I don’t see stink bugs listed on the label of either of these pesticides.  It seems as though there are numerous dead adult BMSBs on the basement floor and I thought the pesticide was the cause of mortality but it could have possibly just been their lifecycle.
I used to have the philosophy of not killing indoor bugs – especially spiders – since I felt the spiders would control all the others but the wife couldn’t stand all the creepy crawlies anymore and is deathly afraid of spiders so we took control action which has been extremely effective in the basement so far.
Best regards,  Bob

3 Responses to Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs invade home

1. Spectracide Bug Stop contains the active ingredient Lambda Cyhalothrin and is indeed a synthetic pyrethroid. There is not a synthetic pyrethroid on the market that in reality lasts longer than about 3 months. There is not much you can to do at this point except vacuum up the invaders. Starting next year, you should start treating in early fall before the temperatures drop. If you decide to spray, be sure to spray around all door frames, window frames and anywhere else the insects may decide to enter. Exclusion is the most important factor in pest control. Seal any cracks, gaps and crevices where the bugs may enter. Stopping them from coming in is always easier then getting them out!

2. bugdude says:

this picture helped identify a bug for a school project ☺☻☺☻

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, we are thrilled to hear that. Our readership has no idea the number of students too lazy to do their own homework who contact WTB? for identification requests 24 hours before their entomology insect collection is due. That is what prompted us to post what has quickly become our most popular posting ever.