Unidentified Ground Beetle
February 15, 2010
I took these photos in August of 2008, and need this beetle identified for a study I’m working on. I don’t remember where I found him, or exactly what size he was (probably rather large, if I remember correctly). Can anyone offer suggestions or a positive ID? Most appreciated…
Daryl Ann
Michigan’s Upper Peninsula

Hermit Beetle

Hi Daryl Ann,
You have misidentified this Scarab Beetle as a Ground Beetle.  It is in the subfamily Dynastinae, the Rhinoceros Beetles.  We are nearly certain this is a female Ox Beetle, Strategus antaeus, which you can find posted on BugGuide which indicates the Ox Beetle can be identified by the “Elytra without sutural striae.
”  We wish you had not submitted a composite photo as the details are very tiny when we reduce the image.  If possible, we would request that you resend uncomposited images so we may post larger versions of your wonderful images.

Hermit Beetle

I’m sending the images separately (uncomposited).  I had thought maybe this was a Black Burying Beetle, but the shape of the head didn’t look right to me.  I’ll check out your suggestion, but I submit the attached to you in the meantime.  Crop if needed.
Thanks for your VERY speedy response!
What a great site you’ve got!!!
Daryl Ann

Hermit Beetle

Thanks so much Daryl Ann.  These images are much better.  We will check with Eric Eaton to verify this identification.

Hermit Beetle

Correction Courtesy of Eric Eaton
Hi, Daniel:
No, this is an example of the “hermit beetle,” Osmoderma eremicola.  They can get pretty hefty in their own right, but are not in the same subfamily as the ox beetle.  I’m kind of glad it isn’t a Dynastinae.  There are lots of “small” members of that subfamily that give me fits trying to ID!

thanks Eric,
BugGuide indicates that the Hermit Beetle is also known as the Odor of Leather Beetle because of its smell.

Wonderful!!!  That’s it!  Thank you SO much!  You’ve been a wonderful help to me!
You guys really ROCK!
Daryl Ann