Is this a wasp ??
February 12, 2010
Hi , I live in Mornington , Victoria . Australia, and for the last month or so we have had these insects flying around the garden , I think that they may be some kind of wasp ? If possible could you identify them for me please and tell me if I should be wary of them ? Thanks for your help.
Ingrid
Mornington , south of Melbourne , Victoria Australia

Blue Flower Wasp

Dear Ingrid,
This beautiful wasp is Discolia soror, and the common name is listed as either the Blue Flower Wasp, Black Flower Wasp or Hairy Flower Wasp depending upon the author.  The adult feeds upon nectar, and the female lays eggs on Scarab Beetle Grubs which are parasitized by the larval wasps.

Blue Flower Wasp

16 Responses to Blue Flower Wasp from Australia

1. Sexy kitty says:

Does the Blue Flower wasp go under ground ?Because I have one flying around my house.Does it hurt when you get stung I have children.

2. Roseann Sorrentino says:

Hello, I live in the Hudson Valley of NY and I know many people in the Hudson Valley usually bring flowers or plants from Europe and other countries. Anyway people can get their hands on organic and nicely kept plants they plant inside and outside their homes or greenhouses. I have had a wasp nest live in my home this summer. I have seen either 1 or 2 or the same Solitary hunting wasp fly around through my dining room to the back porch. And I have been seeing dead blue flower wasps UPSTAIRS in my home. next to the windows one at a time. At the moment having 1 at each window sill and had picked up the first one I found and looked at with amazement because I have never seen an irridescent blue wasp in NEW YORK state. Seeing that they are native in Australia is interesting. Sorry for this being very long. Looking to find anyway why they are in NY. Could it be from people bringing plats from Europe and I’m not sure about Australia since I dont know of any one from Australia around where I live.
    Thank You
    Roseann Sorrentino

3. Roseann Sorrentino says:

Thank You
    Roseann Sorrentino

4. Trevor says:

Have spotted 6 of these glorius wasps i n my front yard in Mornington Victoria.
    I haven’t seen these big beauties for 40 years when i lived in Frankston.

5. Carolin says:

Just seen one digging in my garden.
    I’ve been a keen gardener for 25 years but haven’t seen one before.
    Nunawading, Victoria.

6. Knut Neumann says:

I went for a walk this morning in a local park in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. I saw a little swarm of these wasps flying low around some shrubs. I stood amongst them for about 10 minutes, hoping I could see one landing. It never happened. So I caught one out of the air with my hand. But didn’t dare to hold on to it because it tried to pinch me. Unfortunately still didn’t managed to get a glimpse of it.
    Their bodies were about 20mm long, never saw the wings.

7. Ant says:

One today In Kilmore Victoria, was like a flying alien jewel, it flew around and around me many times as I turned almost dancing to watch in turn.

I could never call this a black flower wasp, was luminous blue …and so beautiful

8. Louris Le Sauvage says:

Have been onbsering these beauties for the last 3 weeks – have never seen them before either here in Bayside Brisbane or in Mt Martha Vic…
    pleased to know they are relatively harmless….,

9. Paul Martin says:

Yes. As a child I was stung and it had a lasting impact on me.
    I must say, I’m a fan of these beautiful insects though.

10. Jim Fowler says:

About 2 days ago I saw one of these magnificent wasps near Merri Creek in Clifton Hill. Took my breath away.
    Jim

11. Allisbella says:

Just watched one flying around.
    Thought it was very attractive until I found out it is a singing wasp.
    Could this wasp be part of the reason for the massive decline in Christmas Beetles as they are their preferred food

12. Patty says:

Hi, I live in Ohio.. I have a Kwanzan tree. These blue wasp are full in my tree. Why? and will they eat the leaves like the Japanese beetle do? I have had my tree for 3 years and this is the first year I’ve seen these wasp before. The Japanese beetle was on the same tree last year. Sprayed them and they went away. These wasp are here to stay no matter what I spray.