Unidentified wood insects
February 11, 2010
My lecturer asked whether does anyone knows what insect is this as he doesnt even know what it is due to the weirdness of the insects.Please help?What is this insect then?
TheSafira
Malaysia

Fruit Piercing Moth Caterpillar

Dear TheSafira,
This appears to be a caterpillar, and possibly a Noctuid or Owlet Moth.  How large is that Caterpillar?  Though it appears enormous, we suspect the use of a wide angle lens has distorted the perspective.  What plant was it found on?

Karl Identifies this Fruit Piercing Moth Caterpillar
Hi Daniel and TheSafira:
This looks like another fruit piercing moth (Noctuidae: Catocalinae).  The three functional prolegs (the first pair is rudimentary) are characteristic and the caterpillars typically move in a semi-looping motion. With the striped head, pale stripes along the body, darker dorsal spots above the prolegs, and the two small yellowish protuberances near the back end this looks very much like Ophiusa (=Thyas) coronata. The larvae apparently reach a maximum length of 70 mm, considerably shorter than the impression given by the photo, but I assume you are correct about the lens effect. I can’t be certain about the species, but if it is O. coronata, the larvae feed on the leaves of Sea Almond, apparently Malaysia’s most abundant urban tree, and the adults are a pest on citrus fruits.  Regards.
Karl

Fruit Piercing Moth Caterpillar

Dear bugman,i think the caterpillar is around 10-15cm long?But im sorry as i cant specified which plant that my lecturer found this caterpillar on.Anyway,i love this website.This is awesome!
TheSafira
Malaysia