Help me find out what kind he is…
February 5, 2010
My boyfriend works in a factory and found this locust on a material box, the box came from new jersey, and possibly china before that…Any info would really help!!!
RS
Canada

Probably Gaudy Grasshopper: Imported into Canada

Dear RS,
We are nearly certain this is one of the Gaudy Grasshoppers in the family Pyrgomorphidae, which are not found in North America.  Most of our submissions from this family come from South Africa and Madagascar, and there are some from Australia.  Many species in this family are toxic because they feed upon milkweed.  We are going to seek assistance with this identification, and we will notify Stephanie Dubon in the USDA exotic insect division at npag@aphis.usda.gov to see if there are any additional reports
.

Confirmation from Eric Eaton
Hi:
I received this image and question already, via AllExperts.com if I recall correctly, and also identified it as in the family Pyrgomorphidae, possibly in the genus Phymateus, though I am not certain of that.
Looking forward to hearing more about this unique import:-)
Eric Eaton
author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
http://bugeric.blogspot.com