Beautiful Moth
February 4, 2010
I hope that you can respond to my email in time. I don’t know what to do with this moth. I live in Cleveland and it is very cold right now. I found it in the house. I can’t let it outside. It will die I really don’t know what to do with it in the house. I feel so bad for it. I believe it just came out of its cocoon. It must have been in one of the plants that we had outside this summer. What is it? Can I keep it alive until spring, and how? (It’s only February!)
Wendy
Cleveland, Ohio

Polyphemus Moth

Hi Wendy,
Alas, even if the weather was fine, this lovely Polyphemus Moth would only live a few days.  They do not feed as adults, and only live long enough to mate.  Sadly, it will die without mating.

Thank you for responding so soon. How sad.  It is so beautiful.
Wendy

One Response to Polyphemus Moth emerges indoors in the winter

1. Cheryl Twigg says:

Hello, I had a cocoon of the Polyphemus moth, from October to March 16th it hatched. It is beautiful. But it is not quite spring, it is 36* outside, actually called for freezing overnight. It’s supposed to warm up in the next few days. I realize it is supposed to breed. It is male with the lg antenna. I would like to put it on the tree that I found it under.(it was blown out of the tree in a wind storm) I’m sure it would have parished. My dilemma is it safe to let it out with these temperatures. It’s supposed to get in the 50s, but drop to the high 30s overnight. What to do?