Leaf/Lime Bug!
February 2, 2010
This bug that’s about 1 1/2 cm in diameter has been on my garage wall for at least 30 hrs. It seems to be alive and resting. When I first saw it I thought it was a small leaf. When I enlarged the picture, it looks like a lime!
Marion Furlong
Port Charlotte, Florida

Spined Green Stink Bug Nymph

Hi Marion,
This is an immature Spined Green Stink Bug  in the genus Loxa.  In December 2006 we received a very detailed image of a nymph and we requested assistance from Eric Eaton who put us in touch with Julieta Brambila, who contacted an expert in Stink Bugs named Joe Eger who made the identification.  There are two possible species, Loxa flavicolis and Loxa viridis which are difficult to distinguish from one another as nymphs.  You may read about that identification in our archives and you may see images of the adults on BugGuide.  The thoracic spines that appear on the adult are not evident on the nymphs.  What most amazes us is that this same individual has been living on your garage for thirty years and it has never matured.  We found the Global Biodiversity Information Facility website that indicates the range of Loxa flavicolis as being Florida, Texas, Mexico and Central America, but we are not having any luck identifying the host plants.  The Sonoran Desert Bugs website provides some information.

Spined Green Stink Bug Nymph

Correction
Hi Danial,
Thanks for your time and help identifying the bug as a Spined green stink bug, I was pleased to hear from you so fast and to be a part of your bug identification site.
When I read what you printed about the bug being on my garage for 30 years I thought I’d made a mistake. You misread it, it had been there for 30 hours! I thought you may like to know so you can change it.
If it’s not to late, it’s still there and has moved into a different position. I took a couple more pictures from a different angle and with my fingers next to it to get an idea of the size.
Thanks again for your help.
Marion Furlong

Oops.  Thanks for the correction Marion.  Sometimes we read things too quickly.