katydid with leaf-like wings
January 31, 2010
The photo of the dead leaf mimic got me thinking about the katydid I found in my backyard in northwestern New Jersey last August. Its wings have that amazing vein-pattern of leaves. One can see how, with just a little nip and tuck from natural selection, the dead leaf mimics evolve. Thank you for your wonderful work.
jeannie
newton, new jersey

Forktailed Bush Katydid

Hi Jeannie,
Thank you for your kind letter, and also providing such a detailed image of a Bush Katydid in the genus Scudderia.  We believe this is a female Scudderia fasciata, the Treetop Bush Katydid, based on images posted to BugGuide.  We will see if Piotr Naskrecki is able to provide a confirmation of that identification.

Correction thanks to Piotr Naskrecki
HI Daniel,
I think that this is Scudderia furcata, rather than S. fasciata (which usually has more black coloring on its wings.)
Cheers,
Piotr

One Response to Forktailed Bush Katydid

1. Dave says:

Though they might belong to the group of insects that are almost too pretty to eat, Katydids are definitely tasty. They’re like salad, or avocado; green and delicate, just as in life.
    The famous Nsenene of Uganda and neighboring countries is a species of Katydid.

Dave
    http://www.smallstockfoods.com