Wasp Mimic Moth from BVI
January 18, 2010
This moth was photographed in the early evening, 6:20 local time on Dec. 22 with a 400 mm telephoto lens.
Donald Gudehus
Necker Island, British Virgin Islands

Spotted Oleander Caterpillar Moth

Hi Donald,
This Spotted Oleander Caterpillar Moth, Empyreuma affinis, is a common Caribbean species that was recently introduced to Florida.

5 Responses to Spotted Oleander Caterpillar Moth

1. Amanda says:

I had 2 Spotted Oleander Caterpillar Moth’s on the wall of my house this morning in Melbourne, FL

2. Stephanie Chaffee says:

I spotted one on my buddleia last week in Melbourne, FL.

3. Cheryl l. Fasano says:

i have several caterpillars on my oleander here in West Palm Beach saw the moth several times in my chocolate jasmine bush & was curious to see what it was so I was happy to be able toidentify it through site. They are quiet unusual(the moth) especially up close. I do have some good photos if you would like to see them. Thanks Cheryl

4. Mary-Lynn Culbert says:

We found one yesterday on the oleanders here in Largo, Florida. NOT Key Largo, but the Largo in central Florida (just west of Tampa). Apparently these bugs are working they way northwards. It was very docile and kept coming back to crawl about on my brother’s hands and arms.