Yellow and Orange coloured Bee
January 19, 2010
Hi bugman!
My name is Kyunghwa and I found a cool looking bug today at school. I was walking down the road on UBC campus and found the bug on the street. He was crawling around but didn’t really move much (he had wings but didn’t fly) so I picked him up and put him in my cup and brought him home. (now he’s back to the nature since I didn’t know what kind of food I could provide him. I had him for about 5 hours with me.) I named him “Boong Boong”. I just want to know what kind of bug my Boong Boong was so I can remember him correctly. Thank you!
usual way.
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC Canada

Bumble Bee

Dear Kyunghwa,
This is one of the Bumblebees in the subgenus Pyrobombus which is recognized on BugGuide.  They are sometimes called Red Tailed Bumble Bees, but that name generally refers to the Eurasian species Bombus lapidarius.  Some possible species might be Bombus bifarius, Bombus huntii, and Bombus melanopygus,  all of which are found in your area.

Bumble Bee

Location: Canada