Blood Sucking Bug. Assassin? Bed Bug?
January 19, 2010
I have been trying to find out everything I could about bloodsucking bugs ever since I found one on top of my sheets last night. I had received multiple bug bites on my stomach and wrists (see photo for stomach bites) the night before last but couldn’t figure out what was going on. I found the culprit: a bug was feeding on me. It is no more than a 1/4″ long and was walking slowly across the sheet. It definitely was not a flea as I could pick it up easily. I smooshed its back, trying to kill it. and a lot of blood (my blood) came out in the process.

Flea

It’s antennae was moving for several minutes before I decided to flush it down the toilet. I’m scared. I am not sure if my dog brought it into the house with him (he does not sleep on the bed though). Or if this is a sign of an infestation to come. I went through a cleaning frenzy today but could not find any more of them. Am I safe? What’s this bug?
Scared this might be a bed bug?
Seattle, WA

Flea

Dear Scared,
This does appear to be a Bed Bug.  While we do not give extermination advice, we strongly counsel you to seek professional help.

Flea Bites

Thank you for answering my question. I am still hopeful that it ISN’T a bedbug though. From all the other photos I’ve seen of them, they have more of a flat, rounded body shape than my bug–which had more of a diamond-like body before I squished it. Anyway, I haven’t been able to find any more of them, or the tell-tale signs of bedbugs on the sheets or elsewhere. I know that they’re never alone so I will keep looking.
Thanks for having such an informative website.
Not Scared Anymore

Correction thanks to Eric Eaton
The “bed bug” is actually a FLEA!  Probably a cat flea, the most overwhelmingly common species to afflict both cats AND dogs…..

2 Responses to Flea

1. ryan says:

This looks like a flea of some sort, not a bed bug.

2. Simon Kahalehoe says:

Insect bites are annoying and potential threats to both humans and animals. Fortunately, flea bites are not as dangerous as many other insect bites. Although you do not need to contact your doctor as soon as it starts itching all over the body, you must still be aware of allergic reactions and rashes. Fleas can be carriers of many different types of bacteria and viral diseases, and they are known to transmit tapeworms. Even if the fleas do not have infections, flea bites can still drive both animals and humans mad when they come in big groups, and they are not easy to get rid of. I’ll show you how to treat and prevent flea bites.`,,”

Find out more about our personal webpage as well http://healthwellnessbook.comcl