January 15, 2009
Thanks! You identified a Spotted Apatelodes Moth for me.  No description or photo would fit it. I kept saying that it looked like bark. I may have seen a butterfly the other day that resembled it, but this morning was cool, and it was tired. I was able to pick it up, and was able to get a close look at it. Still looks like bark, but I noticed the feather antennae, and the curved abdomen. This evening I found your site.  So I am very excited. You will look long and hard for an image of it, because… it looks like bark. I put it onto an arbor vitae, so maybe I’ll be able to get a photo tomorrow, if it is still there. Peace!
kathy

Spotted Apatelodes

Spotted Apatelodes

Hi Kathy,
We are thrilled that you have used our website to identify your Spotted Apatelodes.  We are including a photo submitted previously to post with your letter.  We haven’t received any recent images of this unusual moth and we hope you are able to locate and photograph the individual you saw.