Bugs in my Kitchen
January 12, 2010
I’m noticing many of these bugs that are always showing up mostly in my Kitchen. They appear mostly during the colder months. They are 6 legged mottled brown in appearance with a light/dark rear edge that gives it a jagged look. Each bug always show up as roughly the same size each time – about 1/2″ long x 3/8″ wide. They are slow moving and I think they have wings.
Thanks for your help!
Gary Schneider
Central NJ

Tree Stink Bug

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Hi Gary,
The reason you are finding Tree Stink Bugs in the genus Brochymena in your house is that they seek shelter indoors when the weather begins to cool.  They hibernate and become active again in the spring.  They will not harm your home, its furnishings, or its inhabitants.

Corrected by Eric Eaton
Hi, Daniel:
The “tree stink bug” is actually a “brown marmorated stink bug,” Halyomorpha halys, a fairly recently introduced species from Asia that is becoming widespread.  Pennsylvania was the site of its introduction, so no doubt they are quite common there now.  They are well known for congregating on, and sometimes inside, homes and buildings during the colder months.  They are harmless, though don’t smell very good if you grab one.

One Response to Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

1. alistair ewen says:

Wooh i live in scotland & i think i’ll put up with the cold rather than these bugs !!!