what the heck is this beastly little creature?
January 7, 2010
Last year (late summer or early fall) I found this little guy under a log in central Oklahoma. There were lots of dead leaves scattered around, and the soil was fairly damp. He had two orange and black “tails” sticking out of his long, slender abdomen. His abdomen and thorax were both black, but his head was a yellowish-orange. He had fearsome looking mandibles, and could run pretty fast (which made photographing him difficult). He looked like some sort of larva, but I have absolutely no idea what he was. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Josh Kouri

What's That Bug?

probably Ground Beetle Larva

Hi Josh,
Our best guess is an immature Stonefly, but we thought they were aquatic.  We will try to contact Eric Eaton to get assistance.

What's That Bug?

Probably Ground Beetle Larva

Ed. Note: Typically, we do not post comments in the main body of a posting, but in this case, we believe it is warranted.  The following comment was approved.

Prognathous mandibles, long urogomphi…looks like some sort of beetle larva to me. Probably a ground beetle (Family Carabidae), the two tarsal claws give it away.  There are no terrestrial stonefly larvae that I know of.

Update from Eric Eaton
Hi, Daniel:
Definitely a ground beetle larva, likely this one:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/293203
in the genus Galerita at least.  Neat find!

One Response to Mystery Insect: Ground Beetle Larva

1. Kaimialana says:

Prognathous mandibles, long urogomphi…looks like some sort of beetle larva to me. Probably a ground beetle (Family Carabidae), the two tarsal claws give it away.

There are no terrestrial stonefly larvae that I know of.