Vietnam Beetle
January 5, 2010
My friend Emma found this beetle on a street in Ho Chi Minh city, outside of Saigon. She took this picture in early July 2008. I’m very much an amateur entomologist, and I’m not sure about the identification. Any help you could offer would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Kai
Vietnam

Unknown Longicorn

Longicorn: Pachyteria dimidiata

Hello Kai,
This is some species of Longicorn in the family Cerambycidae, though we need to research the species.  Perhaps one of our readers will beat us to the correct identification.

Update from Karl
This looks like Pachyteria dimidiata (Cerambycinae: Callichromatini), found throughout tropical and sub-tropical Asia from Iran to Borneo. In Thailand it is considered a wood boring pest on fruit and ornamental trees, particularly the Iron Wood Tree (Mimusops elengi); in fact the common name there appears to be the Mimusop Stem Borer. You can find another photo of this beetle (also from Vietnam) on WTB at: 2009/08/01/longicorn-from-viet-nam-pachyteria-dimidiata/

Thanks Karl,
We knew it looked vaguely familiar, but we didn’t have time to research the matter earlier today.

One Response to Longicorn from Vietnam

1. kkroeker says:

This looks like Pachyteria dimidiata (Cerambycinae: Callichromatini), found throughout tropical and sub-tropical Asia from Iran to Borneo. In Thailand it is considered a wood boring pest on fruit and ornamental trees, particularly the Iron Wood Tree (Mimusops elengi); in fact the common name there appears to be the Mimusop Stem Borer. You can find another photo of this beetle (also from Vietnam) on WTB at: https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2009/08/01/longicorn-from-viet-nam-pachyteria-dimidiata/