Spidentification
January 6, 2010
Dear Bugman: I sent these photos to you on 11/8/09. I still hold out hope that you willl spidentify this lovely creature who was living in our shower, even though I now have a pretty good idea that she is a jumping spider. I carried her out to the garden back in November; we saw her again yesterday on the outside of our window. Her back was much redder but she was as large as ever, about 3/4″ long. She is the CUTEST spider I could ever imagine! What type of jumping spider is she?
In Love With a Jumping Spider
Los Angeles, CA

Jumping Spider

Jumping Spider

Dear In Love With a Jumping Spider,
We don’t believe we are able to conclusively identify this Jumping Spider to the species level, but it does resemble an image of Phidippus asotus that is posted to BugGuide.  Your original letter came while we were struggling to complete our manuscript, and now we are attempting to meet our deadline for manuscript revisions.  We wish the photos were of higher resolution.  Perhaps one of our readers can verify this identification.  The enthusiasm of your letter is refreshing.

Jumping Spider

Jumping Spider

One Response to Jumping Spider

1. rcirons says:

This looks like the same spider that likes our humming bird feeder. When the bees discover it had been refilled this spider is back in a matter of days and living a very happy life with a steady food supply.

Newhall CA