Can you identify this bug?
January 3, 2010
Can you help me identify this bug?
Sighting (possibly two times):
* I recently found this bug on my bed after a friend’s visit. She arrived by plane from DC.
* There is a slight possibility that this is the same bug as another one i found on my clothes months ago while on public transit in Chicago.
* The bug is easily visible and is about 2mm in length.
* It moves fairly slow, mush slower than common small household ants.
* Extremely resilient. I found it about three weeks ago and put it in a small glass jar for later identification. I forgot about the jar until today and I was shocked to see it is still alive with no food, or water in a small air tight jar.
* It does not like sunlight. It took a while taking a frontal shot of it as it always tries to face away from direct light.
We rarely receive letters with so many bullet points. This is a Smooth Spider Beetle, Gibbium aequinoctiale, a pest of stored foods.