January 3, 2010
Aquarium #1, the original 40 gallon tall aquarium now contains the original pair of Angelfish, Boris and Media Luna, and they continue to lay eggs every two weeks, and I have stopped trying to raise the fry.  I have not had a successful batch of fry since September of last year.  After five successful spawnings, there began to be high mortality rates for the fry.  The aquarium also contains 4 of the original 6 Rams, 7 of the original 10 Cardinal Tetras, 2 of the original 4 Black Phantom Tetras, and 5 of the original 12 False Emperor Tetras.  All of the Algae Eaters and Panda Catfish died in a short period of time.  There has been an outbreak of tiny snails in both this aquarium and the 29 gallon aquarium containing the Angelfish Lefty and Digitalis.  The water quality seems fine, and the water is clear.  The algae growth seems to be under control, but I still have no luck keeping Amazon Sword Plants alive and the Eel Grass also languishes.  Boris and Media Luna laid eggs today.  They are hiding behind the plant on the left, guarding their eggs, in the photo.

Community Aquarium #1

Community Aquarium #1

Aquarium #2, the Grow Out Aquarium, contains 9 out of 10 Rummy Nose Tetras, a singly Cory Cat, and at least 35 Angelfish offspring from both pairs of parents.  Some of the largest fry have a body size of about a quarter of a dollar, and the smallest are much smaller, with the body of about my pinky fingernail.  These fry were from August and September spawnings.  I plan to take the largest of the young to Tropical Imports in the next week or so and trade them for food.  Some of the Angelfish have a strong gold coloration despite all the parents having the wild striped pattern.  Most of the young resemble the parents.

Grow Out Aquarium #2

Grow Out Aquarium #2

Aquarium #3 contains only the Angelfish Lefty and Digitalis who successfully raised two broods of about 50 fry for six weeks, spawning again shortly after the fry were removed.  They have a large proportion of eggs that fungus over, and the few fry that start to swim die within a few days.  I believe there is something amiss with the water, and I wonder if our winter water supply in Los Angeles differs from the Spring and Summer water supply.  Not having youngsters has not been a problem as they would be difficult to raise in the three aquariums I currently have.  The nursery aquarium has been temporarily emptied and it will be put into use again the next time there are viable fry from Boris and Media Luna that are rescued with a turkey baster.  This aquarium does not have a light and I cannot take a photo tonight.

Media Luna with Eggs

Media Luna with Eggs

I took a few additional photos of Boris and Media Luna with their freshly laid eggs.  Boris was on the other side of the aquarium, and I needed to coax him toward the eggs by moving my hand near the glass, a potential threat.

Boris (left) and Media Luna with eggs

Boris (left) and Media Luna with eggs