Mexican Moths (or butterflies)
December 29, 2009
One a cruise this August leaving Puerto Vallarta, Mexico the ships lights were drawing a large number of moths miles out to sea. One was 6-7″ across and extraordinarily “hairy” (2 photos). The other was about 3″ across the wings and with nice geometric patters (1 photo). I am submitting 2 for identification help.
Thank You
Kevin Schick
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Black Witch

Black Witch

Hi again Kevin,
Your larger moth is a Black Witch, a common species in Mexico.  In the autumn, individuals often fly north and they have been reported from Canada.

2 Responses to Black Witch from Mexico

1. Margie perez says:

This looks like the one that got in my house and I very gently caught it and released it back outside.Didn’t want to kill it.this is in Texas

2. Teri Woods says:

One of these recently was outside near the garage, flew past me as I opened the door, then flew onto my screened in porch. I happened to spot it and was shocked to see it was a moth. It was very large and dark brown with the “eyeballs” markings and spotted bottom. Mostly it was mud brown and not very distinctive. It was so large, I had to find out what it was and where it was from. I live outside of Kansas City, Missouri. I have seen a lot of butterflies and many ugly moths that we consider to eat wool and flour. There have been many monarch butterflies as well. The outdoors has become a virtual show and I am amazed at how many I have seen since I don’t necessarily have “butterfly bushes” so to speak. I don’t see a place to add the photo, so bummer there. Interesting stuff. My son and I have been searching and this is the first actual place I found the same type of moth. We were incorrectly searching in Missouri moths.