What is this bug? Is it harmful?
December 26, 2009
I found this bug inside the house on the window curtain. It can fly. I have found a couple of dead ones around the house recently. It is winter here but we have had some warm spells. This is the first year I have found this type of bug inside or outside.
George
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Assassin Bug

Assassin Bug

Hi George,
This is a species of Assassin Bug in the genus Pselliopus, most likely Pselliopus barberi.  According to BugGuide, the adults overwinter and it might have sought shelter from the cold inside your home.  Though they are not considered harmful, many Assassin Bugs will bite if carelessly handled, and Pselliopus barberi is no exception.  Assassin Bugs are considered to be important predators in the control of other insects and their presence will help to ensure that problematic species do not become too plentiful.

Hi Dan
Thanks for the ID on the Assassin bug. I had put it outside so checked and it hadn’t moved since yesterday. Was into hibernation. When picked up (with a glove on) it began to move so I moved it to a safe place to overwinter. Certainly can use it to control unwanted bugs next spring and summer. Thanks, George

One Response to Assassin Bug

1. drswanny says:

I would agree that this assassin is Pselliopus barberi.