what kind of bug is this?
December 23, 2009
I would like to find out what kind of bug we found in our back porch. It was found In oregon during September, by itself outside on a warm cloudy day. Specifically we are in the mid willamette Valey about 1 mile from Willamette River. We are in a rural area
Josh Hoffert
Independence, OR. Mid willamette Valley. 1 mile from the river.

Western Boxelder Bug

Western Boxelder Bug

Hi Josh,
This is a Western Boxelder Bug, Boisea rubrolineata, a benign creature that often forms large aggregations and enters homes to hibernate as cooler weather approaches.  It can become a nuisance if it gets too plentiful.

One Response to Western Boxelder Bug

1. Janet says:

I saw a few Western Boxelder Bugs on my patio in Chatsworth, CA a few weeks ago, but today when I walked out in my yard past the patio they are all over!!! This is the first year I have ever seen them at all. There are a ton of smaller red ones and plenty of the bigger black and red ones. I have lived in this home for over 30 years and never seen them before this year!

Should I be concerned,

Janet