Spots and Stripes…I’m Stumped!
June 5, 2009
Hello there!
First I just want to say I’m so glad I found this site…so informative, thanks for your efforts! I’d like to ask your help in identifying this guy I saw on vacation in Aruba last week. He was hanging around the balcony all day, weather there was low 80s and dry. The pattern reminds me of a potato beetle but the body doesn’t seem quite right…maybe some type of borer? (Sorry if these are dumb guesses, these is soooo not my field, I’m only working with what I could piece together in the last couple hours from google and pouring through your site until my eyes went blurry 🙂 )
Thanks in advance and I hope you are enjoying your vacation!
Najah W.
Aruba

Unknown Cerambycid

Oxymerus aculeatus

Hi Najah,
As you indicated, we were away when you wrote in June, and we never really caught up on unanswered mail.  We are trying to post a few old letters today, and we find your request most interesting.  First, both Leaf Beetles and Longhorned Borer Beetles are in the same superfamily Chrysomeloidea, so your confusion is actually supported by scientific taxonomy.  Your beetle does have the markings of a Colorado Potato Beetle, and the antennae of a Longhorned Borer Beetle.  We believe it is a Longhorned Borer in the family Cerambycidae, though we are uncertain of the species.  Perhaps one of our readers can assist in a proper identification.

Identification courtesy of Karl
This looks like Oxymerus aculeatus (Cerambycidae: Cerambycinae: Trachyderini). The Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services has posted a “Pest Alert” for this species (available online), fearing that it may have become established in South Florida. I believe this is it, but I haven’t checked to see if there are related and similar looking species. Regards. K

One Response to Longhorned Borer Beetle from Aruba: Oxymerus aculeatus

1. kkroeker says: