Parasidic spider lays its eggs on my head
December 18, 2009
It started with my hair line being covered in brown sticky goo. And my hair, which was down to my waste, was being rolled around and egg or eggs and then tightly ‘glued’ to my scalp. I would touch the back of my head and the hair seemed gone and it felt like alligator armored skin. And It looked frosted like a flocked tree. I would keep pulling the hair back down from my head though it usually just broke off. What did not break was eventually chewed off for egg nesting elsewhere in my home. 6 months ago this started. I am between bald and crew cut now as I pack to escape the horrors and pain of having my head used as a nursery My poor dog also. her wrinkles were filled with eggs and her ears filled with the hard brown cocoon material. Almost like wasp nests. First t he millions of minute eggs, then the larva iand finally, a container/pod that hardens while half embedded in my scalp. Then they would hatch There larva could be removed so eventually I would be raking my head with my nails to pulled the small bugs out of my scalp. It’s like popcorn kernels Sharp and painful. .I would be rid of them maybe a week and then I would wake up egged again. A living night mare this has been. I am now getting what i absolutely need and escaping my trailer in the dead of winter and can not even see family for Christmas because every seem, crease, nook and cranny in this trailer is filled with millions of eggs and larva. I am terrified of Iinfecting family or friends am disabled, My SSDI pay has been drastically cut so this is a major thing. There is no getting another trailer or house. I am now soon to be homeless and I pray that I can escape this plague of spiders by boarding my dog at the vets for a week so that we have a chance of being rid of t his parasite. I have never in my life seen such foulness from a spi der.

Spider:  possibly Amaurobiidae species

Spider: possibly Amaurobiidae species

Brown stickiness every where and larva has replaced my insulation. In the last 6 months I have been treated for lice, then thy said scabies, then they said i must be on drugs and seeing things. from across the room mind you. I had been up in Washington photographing the rain forests there just before this all started. But I also live on the coast in the redwoods of California. I don’t know where it has come from but I would like to know what it is that is driving me from my home out into the cold wet winter. And if I have a chance of maybe coming back in a month or two should they die out or leave with out there favorite host. Or should I have the trailer burned and warn neighbors that vicious woman biting, hair eating, life stealing spiders are on the loose? I understand you are busy, but I will check often for a reply at the library so that I know what I am dealing with here. So far, not even bombing the house has fazed them. I found a few dead but it only slowed thing s down a bit. Will I ever escape this nightmare? I need to know if I can, how long should I leave all my clothes and electronics in storage? What can be done for my dog?
Advantage and flea shampoo has not helped at all. I am sorry I can not donate anything or the help i am asking for, this whole experience has devastated me physically, mentally, and financially. I would be grateful for anyone’s help in this nightmare…Thank you.
Spider Woman
Del Norte County, California Redwood coast

Spider:  possibly Amaurobiidae species

Possibly Hacklemesh Weaver

Dear Spider Woman,
While we sympathize with many of the symptoms you have so chillingly described in your letter, we would like to try to exonerate the spider that is the alleged culprit.  Spiders do not have larvae, they have spiderlings that look exactly like the adults, but in miniature.  We contacted Eric Eaton who said this about your images:  “I think the spiders are something in the family Amaurobiidae, which can certainly make their homes in ours, but usually on the exterior of buildings.  I have never, ever,  heard of a legitimate case of them residing in someone’s hair.  They also do not lay millions of eggs, just strewn about…..  The image of the “larvae” in the dog’s ear just looks like wax to me.
”  Spiders in the family Amaurobiidae are known as Hacklemesh Weavers according to BugGuide, and Wikipedia also uses the names Tangled Nest Spiders and Night Spiders.  Spiders are not parasites, and we do not believe the spiders are connected to your health crisis.  We have no idea what the brown sticky goo might be.  We are just amateurs and we are not qualified to give any professional health advice.  We would recommend that you post a comment to your posting and you will be notified if any of our readers have suggestions.  We believe you need to seek some professional help.

Dod's Ear

Location: Del Norte County, California

14 Responses to Definitely One of the Worst Bug Stories Ever: Hacklemesh Weaver falsly accused!!!

1. urizon says:

I am not a bug expert, I just enjoy them. But I have been a veterinary technician for 17 years. I have never seen any kind of spider infestation on a living pet. Mites, such as sarcoptic (scabies) and demodectic mange can infest pets, but the eggs and adults are not visible to the naked eye. The dog ear picture also looks like debris from a yeast/bacterial infection. I’m not sure what you could do on the human side, but if you are concerned, you could ask your vet to do a skin biopsy of the affected area of the dog. It only requires a small sample and a lab can disect the sample to find any microscopic insects living on your pet. As far as treating the dog, I would try Revolution topical instead of Advantage, as it is labled to treat skin mites in dogs and cats. Good luck.

2. Illiamdra says:

it is hard to hear a story like that but perhaps she should look into the posibility of Morgellons disease or delusional parasitosis.
    Details of delusional parasitosis vary among sufferers, but is most commonly described as involving perceived parasites crawling upon or burrowing into the skin, sometimes accompanied by an actual physical sensation Sufferers may injure themselves in attempts to be rid of the “parasites.”
    Nearly any marking upon the skin, or small object or particle found on the person or their clothing, can be interpreted as evidence for the parasitic infestation, and sufferers commonly compulsively gather such “evidence” and then present it to medical professionals when seeking help

3. Liz says:

Dude, go to the doctor. Or the hospital. Seriously.

4. Jenifer says:

It sounds like fleas or mites to me. Spiders dont like to stick around humans. If u are indeed finding them everywhere, perhaps they are there hunting and feeding on whatever is plaguing you. Wrap a scarf around ur hair at night.

5. Susan McEwen says:

I have the same horrifying nightmare. I’ve been a nurse for over 35 yrs, yet I can not get help either. In addition to devastation, losing jobs and endless nights of sleep, and photographs showing the goo and hair entanglement , I only get the ” lady , you are crazy !! look , before I move on to,a new doctor. I think it may have started with a MRSA on my
    Scalp( misdiagnosed for years ) , then itching , then opportunistic fungal infection from topical cortisones and then prednisone for back injury. It took mos to get a fungal culture because “only kids get tinea capitus”. the bacteria and fungus become so bountiful that it attracts insects who feed and lie eggs in the goo, like fleas, mosquitoes, and gnats. Larger insects like nematodes then go to feed on those insects until you have a mini ecosystem in your head. Losing hair is inevitable , then comes wig- worse itching , inability to focus on anything due to intense itching. Worst of all as your life goes down the tubes , no one, not even colleagues or family believes you. Very demoralizing. I’m sorry for your pain. tea tree oil impregnated petroleum jelly or sulfa Vaseline helps. The only thing I’ve found that’s gets the hair unstuck From goo in scalp, believe it or not, is Goo be Gone!

• I am dealing with the same exact thing their all over mine and my husbands scalp, and my carpet is full of them. I’ve been to 10 different doctors no-one knows please tell me u have found what kills them.

6. Carrie says:

No she is not crazy ! This too is happened to me i! Please read all material on Morgellons! I don’t know what or why but I do know your not alone .

7. woodsprite says:

This is so crazy coincidence because i have the same issues you do and I have those brown spiders all over my house! I’ve been treating this myself for Morgellons since I cannot find any doctors that will help and I have seen 6! My hair and scalp are the biggest issues i have eggs and small larvae that seem like tiny caterpillars and they live under my scalp (raised skin) and other creatures that live on the follicle and its not dermadex. I hear them scratching around in my head and I recently had a outbreak in my ear and tiny larvae is living under earlobe and ear canal, and peroxide is causing the some damage, but doesn’t kill all of them. Recently I stumbled on the “velvet worm” in my research and it kinds of resembles the gooey glue that come from my scalp and the larvae. My hair also has white piedra and trichosporon so its a mess and I refuse to shave it all off so I could really use some advice if anyone can help?

8. I am also going threw this me and my husband .they are eating me alive. Their everywhere in carpet, walls, etc. We’ve been to ten doctors nothing we’ve spent thousands please help us.

9. April Shand says:

Noxzema, Kleen Green, Nizoral, apple cider vinegar.., peppermint, tea tree

Also I made up a recipe that seems to help: milk, sea salt, lemon, nutmeg. Use as a mask leave it in for awhile.

10. April Shand says:

I forgot to mention the main herb that really helps: olive leaf you get a powder capsule and pour the powder on the head or on sore and wet it and it will draw up the creature. I put it on skin and scalp

11. Pauline says:

I been going thru this since May started with lice from a child then to what I think are carpet beetles due to new cheap carpets put in and the moth holes they leaved in clothes SLA helps but cannot kill them. they must be surgically removed they are down beneth 2 skin layers but the ER only wants more meds. I don’t know how much longer I can take it I am losing it and you can see it so no BS about hallucinations. I find all kind of lint in my clothes they live in when small. Please help me I too have tried it all and nothing is working it stops in one spot starts in another. I live across from a cemetary we are moving out to a not so good are but if its a chance we will take it. I didn’t even look at the 3 labs yet I am afraid too.

12. Nancy says:

I believe I know why you are finding the massive number of spiders in your home and I’d like to offer up an extremely viable diagnosis of the rest of your issue. . I too had a three month issue with spiders before I could get the maintenance company to exterminate. Once they did, the spiders were gone however my apartment had two large trees abutting my unit which the owner refused to prune for nearly 3 years . Eventually the trees overflowed and I was faced with a massively infested apartment. I had stick bugs, carpet beetles, brown beetles, termites, mites, spider mites, you name it.

During that same time I was finding thin white strands of goop everywhere. Along with balls of fluff on and in everything, I found eggs, odd brown squares of what appeared to be fused bugs. I went to multiple doctors who treated me with the upmost of disdain. I began collecting samples over one year ago and whatever those brown things were seemed to have laid eggs in my head hair. Samples were sent to two hospital laboratories and the CDC to which i was advised that it seems Silverfish had made a home in my head hair. Unfortunately I have tried everything to get them out to no avail. So if anyone knows how to get these darn bugs out please enlighten me!!