What kind of spider is this?
December 17, 2009
I keep finding these little spiders in my house, specifically in my bathroom. They seem to like to be on the ceiling above the shower and I always freak out when I see one while I’m in there because I don’t know what kind of spider it is and whether or not they are of any danger to me. They are usually about the size of a nickel and very pale in color. Can you tell me what kind of spider this is and a little bit about it please?
Jessica
Providence RI

Yellow Sac Spider

Yellow Sac Spider

Dear Jessica,
This species that has been introduced from the Mediterranean, Cheiracanthium mildei, is known by several common names, including Yellow Sac Spider, Black Footed Spider, and Cream House Spider.  The spider will bite, most often when it is trapped in clothing.  It was once believed that the bite of the Yellow Sac Spider was associated with blisters and lesions, but this has not proven to be the case, and the species should be removed from the medical concern list according to BugGuide.  You may read more on the ASTMH website of the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

2 Responses to Yellow Sac Spider

1. soybeck says:

I have been bitten many times by these spiders, and each time I react horribly, with blisters, cellulitis, and horrid itching. However, everyone else in my cirlce of knowledge has never reacted that way to any spider bite, and I am sure they have been bitten by these common spiders. Probably I am simply allergic to them I suppose.

2. gkbowood says:

I received a bite from one of these earlier this month and it hurt for almost an hour requiring ice to alleiviate the pain . Next day seemed okay, just red at the site. However, this (the following) week , a semi hard knot has arisen at the bite site and though tender, it is not painful, just red. We will see what follows!