Hornworm…but what is it’s name?
December 17, 2009
Hey, just came back from a trip to Hluhluwe Game Reserve in Northern Natal, South Africa. I found this hornworm hanging around in the low foliage. Your site directed me to hornworms, but I can’t find a name for this specific one. Any help? Thanks, great site!
Etienne Fourie
Northern Natal, South Africa

Unidentified Hornworm

Cephonodes hylas Hornworm

Dear Etienne,
Sadly, we don’t know the species of your Hornworm.  We are copying Bill Oehlke on our reply.  He may be able to assist in the identification of this Hornworm in the family Sphingidae.  Hopefully, he will know the answer and he will inform us both as to the identify of this lovely Hornworm.

Location: Natal, South Africa

2 Responses to Hornworm from South Africa is Clearwing Hawkmoth

1. Bostjan Dvorak says:

This is a Cephonodes hylas caterpillar; this clearwing hawkmoth species inhabits Asia as well as Africa. Its nice caterpillar can be differently coloured, but can always be recognized by the characteristic shape of head and body; it is found on many Rubiaceae – I often saw it on Gardenia bushes in Korea and Japan – and is even said to be a potential pest on coffee in some parts of Africa.