Wide, Flat, brown/grey bug with 2 antennae at front and six legs
December 16, 2009
Hello bugman,
I’ve been living in an apartment for 3 years and have just recently started seeing this bug about a month ago.
I’ve since seen 5 of them in my apartment all within the month.
They are big, wide, and sort of flat. They have 2 small antennae (about half the size of its body) pointing forward and six legs. I’ve seen it fly…and due to the large nature of the bug, it’s make a rather obvious buzzing sound.
Scared of Bugs
Westchester County, New York

Tree Stink Bug

Tree Stink Bug

Dear Scared of Bugs,
Though your photos are all quite blurry, this identification is easy.  This is a harmless Tree Stink Bug or Rough Stink Bug in the genus Brochymena.  This is the second letter we have received and are posting today regarding this genus.  Tree Stink Bugs frequently enter home as the weather cools.  They will hibernate and emerge in the spring, and they will not harm the home, its contents, or the human or animal inhabitants, though they are predators and they do feed on other insects.