Please identify this fly
December 12, 2009
Hey bugman, whislt gardening I came across this fly, sitting in the sun, on a concrete pipe.
Its markings I have never seen before, and had to down tools and take a snapshot..its the only one I have as me getting close caused him/her to take off..can you help…and now I am on the hunt as I have never in my 40 odd years seen a fly like this..
regards
Nick Trikilis
Coningham, TAS, Australia 7054

Tachinid Fly, we think

Tachinid Fly, we think

Hi Nick,
We would not have expected such a distinctive looking fly to be so elusive to properly identify.  We believe it is a Tachinid Fly, though we could not identify it on the Brisbane Insect Website, nor the Life Unseen website.  There is a body of an Euamphibolia Fly on the Life Unseen website that looks quite close, but we could not locate another image to substantiate that.  Perhaps one of our readers can assist with this identification.  We also had a vague recollection of seeing a similar photo in the past, and sure enough, we found a still unidentified posting in our archive.

Eric Eaton Concurs
Yes, I do think the black and white fly is a tachinid, but have no idea how to explain it, or be able to be conclusive, either…..I’ll keep looking for an answer.

many thanks, I have sent the image off to the CSIRO head of entymology for id (if possible) it seems going from the other posting earlier that it is in the same area Cygnet is approx 15 mile from my area.
just in time for christmas, if i receive a response from CSIRO i will let you know, thanks again for responding so quickly..
regards
Nick.

Update
December 16, 2009
I have a name !
response from CSIRO
Hi Nick,
This is a bristle fly, Amphibolia vidua (Tachinidae), one of perhaps 3-4,000 species of this family occurring in Australia.  Its larvae feed as a parasite internally on other insects.  On sunny days in summer the adults often rest on smooth eucalypt tree trunks, and similar structures such as poles and pipes.
Best
Thanks again Daniel.
kindest Regards
Nick Trikilis

3 Responses to Bristle Fly from Australia

1. kkroeker says:

Hello Daniel and Nick:

I believe this may be a blowfly (Calliphoridae: Aminiinae) in the genus Amenia. The genus is endemic to Australia and, although there are only a handful of species, I haven’t been able to find an image that matches exactly. Those that I have been able to find, however, look very similar. As a group, they appear to be called snail parasite blowflies. Here are some links:

http://anic.ento.csiro.au/insectfamilies/image_details.aspx?OrderID=26547&BiotaID=46391&ImageID=4172&PageID=families

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jean_hort/2835966512/

2. Drhoz says:

The CSIRO’s giant tomes “The Insects of Australia” has a colour plate with one of these – but gives it as Formosia speciosa. Annoyingly, I can find no other mention of the species or genus online :/

Please send the link. A search of Formosia speciosa and CSIRO did not produce any hits. Perhaps the source material you cited was an actual printed volume.