Is this a banana spider?
December 12, 2009
Hi! I found this big spider in my house, is the first time I see one of these kind, I saw one in these website named banana spider, but the tale looks different, is it poisonous?
luigitec
Mexico

Golden Silk Spider

Golden Silk Spider

Dear luigitec,
The common name Banana Spider is used for more than one species of spider.  To be truly accurate, you should refer to the species in your photograph as a female Nephila clavipes.  The most frequently used common name is Golden Silk Spider.  It is also called a Banana Spider, but that name is shared with Heteropoda venatoria, a species of Hunstman Spider.  It is unclear why Nephila clavipes is called a Banana Spider, though it may be because of the yellow banana-shaped abdomen.  Heteropoda venatoria received its name because it was frequently found with shipments of bananas where it was mistaken for a Tarantula.  Nephila clavipes, like all spiders, has venom, but it is not considered dangerous to humans.  There are reports of small birds becoming entangled in the webs of Nephila clavipes, and becoming meals for the spiders.  The golden silk of the web is extremely strong.