Some sort of assassin bug?
December 10, 2009
The other day my girlfriend ran into the room holding a bug that had been biting her arm. It was a tiny Hemiptera that, legs and all, would be only the size of someones fingernail. We examined it for a while then released it back out into the garden only to find dozens more. Despite the aggressive first encounter they proved to be very pretty, shy little things and proved to be rather difficult to photograph.
These pictures were taken in Taree NSW, Australia in early-mid summer.
My suspicion is that they are an assassin bug, or something similar. I hope you will be able to narrow it down for me.
-Jish
Taree, NSW, Australia

Common Assassin Bug

Common Assassin Bug

Dear Jish,
Nymphs are sometimes difficult to properly identify, but we believe this is an immature Common Assassin Bug, Pristhesancus plagipennis, which we identified on the Brisbane Insect website.

2 Responses to Immature Common Assassin Bug from Australia

1. drswanny says:

I would agree that this is probably a nymph of Pristhesancus plagipennis.

2. Bernie S says:

I was bitten on the leg by one of these Common Assassin bugs 4 days ago and it has turned out to be the worst bite I have ever had in my 59 years, followed by 9 wasps on the stomach and then a jumping ant on the knee. The bite area of 50mm is very firm and blistering with constant throbbing turning into an intense itching. Keep children away from them. Regards Bernie.