Bathroom Buddy!
December 6, 2009
This little critter has been hanging out in our apartment bathroom here in Lakewood, CO for quite a while…Since september of this year. He’s about 1cm long and faster than a speeding bullet when you go to squish him! He has white and black stripes and resembles an earwig. He hides underneath our radiator in the bathroom and I’m pretty sure he may be coming in through a crack in our floor. (However, we live on the top floor of our apartment building!)
I’m sure he’s not the only one of his kind, but we have only seen one or two at a time. I managed to catch this guy (affectionately named “dwight” by the roomies) a few hours ago. I stuck him in our freezer and took this picture afterwards.
I checked your website this morning and couldn’t find anything like it!
Can you ‘dentify Dwight for us?
Everli in Colorado
Lakewood, Colorado, USA

Firebrat

Firebrat

Hi Everli,
Dwight is a Firebrat, Thermobia domestica, a type of Silverfish that likes heat, which would explain Dwight’s fondness for the radiator.  According to BugGuide:  “nymphs and adults feed mostly at night on products rich in carbohydrates or protien; stored foods, glues, book bindings, and paper products may be attacked
.”

Firebrat

Firebrat

3 Responses to Firebrat

1. cindyvarieur says:

I found a similar bug on my brick fireplace wall. it is a solid brown, has six legs, two very long antenia, and three long antenia like tails… could this possibly be the same type bug

2. Ismael says:

If you are looking to control this bugs, you can use a peace of corrugated cardboard and dust it well with boric acid dust. You can find the boric acid in your local Home Depot or Lowe’s or any other hardware store or even in your local supermarket some times. Same treatment for Silverfish. Also can use an aerosol sprayer can and spray the area where you see them the most and make sure is a product that leaves residual so it keeps killing them for several days. Hope this helps many.