Dark headed worm-like bug with legs
December 6, 2009
Hello Bugman, I was wondering if you might be able to help me determine what kind of worm or bug this is. I looked through your website but can’t seem to find anything similar to what I’ve found lying on my bathroom and kitchen floor a few times over the last couple weeks. I live in the Southern California city of San Bernardino. The bug is a thin, dark-headed worm like insect with what appears to be four small legs closer to the head of the body. The body is a light tan color, almost transparent-looking. I have found them lying on the floor, usually already dead. We have pine trees, little vegetation, and mostly dirt in our backyard and our next door neighbors have swimming pools. The closest thing I have found on the Internet seems to be the midge fly larvae. Coul d this be it? Thanks for your help!
Volo
San Bernardino, Southern California

Wireworm

Wireworm

Dear Volo,
This is the larva of a Click Beetle, and it is known as a Wireworm.