Scorpionfly head/Earwig cerci???
December 5, 2009
I am teaching 5th graders some insect basics. In our “catching” class, one of the students caught this insect. This was in the moist dirt outside the school in Anderson, SC, Dec. 4,2009. 18mm, ant.5 or 6 seg., snout-shaped head, thorax 11seg with 6 legs on no. 9 -11, tarsi 3 seg, leathery dorsal surface, pincer (earwig-type) cerci. The head shape and location of legs is confusing.

Unknown Larva

Ground Beetle Larva

Otherwise, it just looks like an earwig. Is this some larval form? Pictures are through a microscope. Help!
Cheryl
Anderson, SC, USA

Unknown Larva

Ground Beetle Larva

Hi Cheryl,
We are requesting assistance from Eric Eaton with the identification of this larval form.  We wish you had sent a photo of the entire specimen.  You might also want to consider posting a comment to your own query in the event one of our readers supplies an answer.

Unknown Larva

Ground Beetle Larva

Identification by Eric Eaton
Thanks to the magnificent close-up images of all the important body parts, I can tell conclusively that this is the larva of a ground beetle, family Carabidae.  The two claws on each leg immediately distinguish carabid larvae from very similar rove beetle larvae (family Staphylinidae).  Nice work by the photographer!

One Response to Ground Beetle Larva

1. Cheryl says:

I don’t have a camera that will take a good pic of the whole larva, thus, the segments. At first glance it just looks like a kind of strange earwig. God bless my microscope. Thanksfor the quick i.d.. The kids will be thrilled with your response Wednesday when I teach again!