Tarantula Hawk Wasp?
December 4, 2009
This summer I was lucky enough to go to the Amazon. I stayed in a lodge about 2 hours downriver from the city of Iquitos, Peru. I saw an enormous amount of awesome bugs but one that stood out was a gigantic wasp. It must have been 2-3 inches (though I’m awful at estimating that stuff), definitely the most impressive hymenopterids I’ve ever seen.. I realize the biodiversity of the Amazon is mind blwing, but there can’t be too man wasps that size. Any help would be awesome (I’ve also got a big bright red assassin bug if you’re interested in a challenge).
Sebastian
Heliconia Lodge, about 2 hours downstream from Iquitos, Peru

Spider Wasp

Spider Wasp

Dear Sebastian,
We cannot say for certain that this is a Tarantula Hawk, but we are nearly certain it is a Spider Wasp in the family Pompilidae which includes the Tarantula Hawks.  Tarantula Hawks in the genus Pepsis are nearly always black with orange wings.  We will contact Eric Eaton to see if he agrees.

Spider Wasp

Spider Wasp

2 Responses to Spider Wasp from Peru

1. pepsis says:

This wasp is Pepsis aurozonata, one of several very handsome members of the sumptuosa group, known for having the body adorned with iridescent gold or bronze tomentum. With 133 known species in the genus Pepsis, a great deal of variation and even mimicry is present between groups.