In January 2009, we first posted the announcement that we are writing a book, and we are happy to announce that we emailed a first draft that is longer than we needed by about 15%, which means our editor at Penguin/Perigee will have room to cut content. Right now, the working title is The Curious World of Insects.  Our book will not be an identification guide and it will not be a scientific text.  To quote from our proposal “Rather than using the Q&A format, the book will be a compendium of accumulated information, and instead of concentrating on species identification in the way a field guide does, the What’s That Bug? book will be more of a general overview of groups of bugs.”  We will be spending December and January rewriting at the editor’s suggestion, and we also need to find visual content.  We will not be using photographs, but rather old entomological sketches from very old books, similar to the drawing of the earwig that appears on our homepage.  Please be patient as we try to shift some of our attention to meeting our commitment to our agent and editor and making good on our promise.  Chances are quite good that if you have a question, using our in site search engine should lead you to an answer.  If your direct question does not receive an answer, please do not take it personally.  It is because of our own time constraints.

4 Responses to Update: We've produced the first draft of our book

1. oroboros says:

I’m looking forward to the book.

When left to my own devices to identify something, I’ve always headed to bugguide.net in the past.

However, google image search is also very helpful and often faster.

This site is also a great resource and between all three, anyone who is determined ought to be able to narrow it down pretty closely on their own.

2. carpwoman says:

YAY YOU!!!! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

3. entomgirl says:

A.P they look like a species of springtail