Large, green, slow-moving, wide wingspan
November 30, 2009
I found this guy on my lampshade in November. We live amongst Oaks and Cedars predominantly, have acid soil, nights down to 40’s currently. I thought Katydid, but maybe a tree cricket of some kind? Thank you!
Rhoni Lawrence
2400 ft. Sierra Nevada foothills in N. California

Common Conehead

Common Conehead

Dear Rhoni,
This sure appears to be a Common Conehead Katydid in the genus Neoconocephalus, but we cannot be certain of the species.  None of the species that are identified on bugGuide are found in California, but some unidentified specimens are.

Common Conehead

Common Conehead

Perhaps one of our readers who is more skilled at Katydid identification will be able to provide a species name.

Common Conehead

Common Conehead

4 Responses to Common Conehead Katydid

1. gdnwb3 says:

Neoconcephalus triops, the broad-tipped cone head, found in southern California. November is very late in the year for them, but who knows how long it was hiding out in the house.

2. Laurie says:

My husband had what appears to be a Cone Headed Katydid land on his leg. He has since broke out in patches of what stared ut pink and has gotten quite red and itchy. Could this have been caused by this insect.