Is this a cricket?
November 26, 2009
What type of insect is this. It is about 1 inch long and very slow moving and docile (can hold it in your hand). I see them on the side of my house and found the one in the pictures in my garage (@ 50F !). We originally were affraid they were Asian long horned beetle but obviously they are not. Can you identify?
Paul
eastern Massachusetts

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi Paul,
With the onset of winter, the number of identification requests we receive for Western Conifer Seed Bugs increases as they seek shelter indoors to escape the cold.  They are harmless, and they will hibernate through winter, producing a new generation in the spring.

2 Responses to Western Conifer Seed Bug

1. Karon says:

I have been finding a lot of Western Conifer Seed Bugs inside my home in Mid Michigan area October and they scare me to death, do they bite? what is their purpose in my yard, why are they trying to get into my home? How do I get rid of them?? Any info will be helpful, thank you.

Western Conifer Seed Bugs, an invasive species in Michigan, do not bite. They enter homes to hibernate when the weather cools. We do not offer extermination advice.