What spider is this?
November 25, 2009
I live in Cape Town, South Africa and found this spider walking in my Kitchen last night. Can you tell me what it is and if it’s poisonous?
doesn’t matter
On my wall, in my Kitchen, in Cape Town South Africa

Huntsman Spider

Huntsman Spider

Dear doesn’t matter,
This is a Huntsman Spider, probably a female Heteropoda venatoria, a species that has become very wide spread in ports around the world.  All spiders have venom, but this particular species is not considered dangerous to humans.  The Huntsman Spiders are nocturnal hunters that will feed on Cockroaches.  There are South American Huntsman Spiders that are reported to have dangerous bites.

3 Responses to Huntsman Spider

1. Karen says:

I have one in my kitchen too. I am a clean freak, so there are no cockroaches. I want people to feel welcome in my home – but giant huntsman spider- you are not welcome!!

2. まつもとマイケル says:

Huntsmen spider is not a danger but i do inform you to use caution when dealing with spiders like this because the bite is very very painful. They can grow to a leg span of up to 30cm and can become aggressive.