November 19, 2009
Thank you so much!
I have one more bug picture that I have yet to identify.  I took it when I was in the Daintree Rainforest in Australia.  I looks like a stink bug to me, but I’ve never seen anything with the coloring and design.
Thanks again! I really appreciate your help!
Heather Scrowther
Daintree Rainforest, Australia

Unknown Large Stink Bug from Australia

Large Stink Bug from Australia

Hi again Heather,
The Bronze Orange Bug, Musgraveia sulciventris, is one of the Large Stink Bugs in the family Tessaratomidae, and it looks similar to your specimen, but your individual is more colorful.  You can see pictures of the Bronze Orange Bug on saveourwaterwaysnow.com and on the Brisbane Insect Website.  We are relatively certain your bug is in the same family, and perhaps the same genus, and it might even be a color variation.  We located images of another member of the genus, Musgraveia antennata, but it doesn’t match either.  The Illustrated Catalog of Tessaratomidae has some similar specimens, but nothing exact.  There are some unpictured specimens from the genus Oncomeris, and a picture of Oncomeris flavicornis flavicornis from New Guinea that has similar legs.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to assist us in an exact identification.

Identification Courtesy of Karl
November 19, 2009
Hi Daniel:
I believe you are very close. I think the genus is indeed Oncomeris, but probably not O. flavicornis. I could find only one image of O. dilatus and it looks extremely close, but I could find virtually no information about the species to help me out. The ‘God of Insects’ site gives its range as Papua New Guinea, but this may be incomplete and northern Queensland does share much of its insect fauna with PNG. It always surprises me when there is so little information to be found for such a large and strikingly beautiful insect. Perhaps someone else can help to nail this one down. Regards.
Karl

4 Responses to Bronze Orange Bug relative from Australia

1. Plisthenes says:

This bug is most probably Plisthenes australis Horváth, 1900. It matches quite well the pictures of the type I have in my database. Heather, I would very much like to use your picture on my site about Tessaratomidae to illustrate the catalog. It is also quite normal that Daniel did not found it in my catalogue, as it is one of those, among many, I have not yet had time to put online.
    Regards

Dear Plisthenes,
      We do not know if Heather will ever return to see comments on her posting, and here at What’s That Bug?, though we do not hold the actual copyright on the photograph, we reserve the right to reproduce images and letters on our site and on What’s That Bug? approved projects. We usually grant permission to use photographs for educational purposes. Unless Heather writes back and indicates otherwise, you have our permission to use this image on your awesome online catalog.

2. Plisthenes says:

I am sorry I completely missed your answer to my request, thought I would get a mail. Thanks for your permission, I will include this picture in the next update of my site.

Dear Plisthenes,
      The internet is a mysterious place, and once we hit send, the actual whereabouts of our missives are quite ethereal to us. We are under the belief that when we respond to a comment, the person to whom we are addressing the response actually gets notified.