Bug carcass
November 15, 2009
This bug carcass was found yesterday as is, head and thorax missing. It was in the mulch of a large planter containing a small tree. I have never seen a bug as big as this in my area, living or dead before. I wish I could have seen a live one. Date found 11.14.09.
Fiona
Fairfax, Virginia (Washington DC suburbs)

Decapitated Hercules Beetle

Decapitated Eastern Hercules Beetle

Hi Fiona,
This is a decapitated Eastern Hercules Beetle, Dynastes tityus.  Usually, if a predator like a bird happens to capture a beetle like this, it will eat the body where all the fatty nourishment is, and leave the head.  This is a mysterious death.  We posted a photo of a decapitated head of an Eastern Hercules Beetle several years ago.

One Response to Decapitated Eastern Hercules Beetle

1. Kendall Sadler says:

I know this is a older post but I got online today to see if anyone else has found a headless Hercules Beetle. I found two this morning laying about a foot from one another. One of their heads was laying right next to it. I thought this was very strange.