Black and Orange Fuzzy Butt Bug
November 13, 2009
I saw this bug today, while hiking at Lake Pleasant (Arizona), it was walking very quickly on the ground. I only had a chance to get one photo.
Hundewanderer
Lake Pleasant, Arizona

Velvet Ant

Velvet Ant

Hi Hundewanderer,
This is a Velvet Ant, a flightless female wasp in the genus Dasymutilla.  We believe, based on the location and on photos posted to BugGuide, that this might be Dasymutilla magnifica.

15 Responses to Velvet Ant

1. Marc says:

Yeah, it’s A velvet ant. I saw one today while hiking in the Indian canyons in Palm Springs. I took some pics and it’s a cool bug.

2. Steve Kleinrichert says:

Just saw the same in Tombstone, AZ…but different from what I had seen before as a velvet ant

3. Sara Czerniewski says:

My family and I just saw one in Menifee, CA.

4. Richard Baker says:

We also have then here in New Mexico. I spotted one at Truth and Consequence at Elephant Butte.

5. Kathryn says:

I found one in Smithville Missouri

6. Carmen says:

I had one outside my house today. In Grand Junction Colo. Its not here any more I thought it was a baby tarantula OMG.

7. cindy says:

I found one in Kingman AZ this evening also thought at first glance it was a tarantula, that thing is sure fast we have had a lot of heavy rains lately wonder if reason why

We know rain is a stimulant to both Tarantula and Trapdoor Spider activity since that is when males travel in search of a mate. We don’t know if rain stimulates Velvet Ants in a similar manner.

8. julia says:

found another one in Menifee, Ca.

9. Walking our dog in a sunny morning cemetery I spied a pale green fuzzy ant (?) a little less than
    5/8 of an inch long, trucking along quite purposefully on the asphalt…It looked like a tiny toy, but no visible legs or eyes…I’ve seen other large “velvet ants” that were red and black, but never this lovely soft green…Sorry to have missed a chance for a photo…Can’t seem to find anything like it
    on any of the bug websites…

10. Joshua says:

We saw one at horseshoe bend in page arizona a few days ago.

11. gregorio valdez says:

I have some in my yard in perris california zip code 92570

12. Carrie Ann says:

We just saw a yellow velvet ant at Lyman Lake (northeast Arizona, Apache County).

13. Ellyn says:

Spotted another of the big fuzzy ants yesterday morning, same general
    location, except it wasn’t a very pretty color, sort of faded, no-
    color…Watched it awhile, to see if it had a mate or companion…
    Fascinating little critter…