Looks and acts like a “Junebug”, but comes in the Fall around here
November 12, 2009
Two people have told me these bugs, which are large, clumsy and hit the window at night, are “pine beetles” or “pine borers”, which I have a hard time believing. We do live amongst a lot of oaks, cedars, yews, spruce, etc., but these guys act and look like June bugs and will not be around long.
Rhoni Lawrence
Sierra Nevada foothills, N. California, 2400 ft.

Rain Beetle

Rain Beetle

Hi Rhoni,
These are most definitely Rain Beetles in the family Pleocomidae, an unusual group of beetles with fascinating life histories.  Only the males are able to fly, and female Rain Beetles live many feet underground.  Males emerge from the ground after a rain and fly off in search of a mate.  There are many species of Rain Beetles, but their individual ranges are quite limited, and an expert is required to distinguish one species from another.  There are some nice images on BugGuide.  We read an awesome article about Rain Beetles in the LA Times this spring, but alas, the link online indicates that there is scheduled maintenance on the site and we are uncertain when it will be available.  In lieu of not being able to link to the LA Times article, we are linking to a Bay Nature website with some information.

Rain Beetles

Rain Beetles

6 Responses to Rain Beetles

1. Christina says:

I have a number of these beetles flinging themselves into my window tonight, after the rain started. Very unusual. November 1, 2015

2. Crystal Dougherty says:

I have moved back to the Hood River valley after being gone for many years. I have seen alot of these beetles around here and had no clue what it was.

3. Gene St. Denis says:

Daniel, it appears to me that you have pictures of Pleocoma staff males , given the limited local information . I collected a nice series last week and will post pics and narrative soon, once I recover from the week straight rain beetle trip thru northern California . If Crystal gets any pictures of the Hood River beetles, then I could ID them . Cheers ! Gene St. Denis Sierra Nevada Research

Thanks Gene. Your submissions over the years means that WTB? must have one of the most comprehensive archives of Rain Beetles available on the internet. We eagerly await your new submissions.