Large Cricket Like Bug
October 24, 2009
Here I’ve found a large cricket like bug with really long antennae. The actual body of the bug looks to be about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in length (not counting the legs or antennae. They seem to gravitate towards mice glue traps. Any help regarding these guys would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Suffern, NY (NorthEast U.S.)

Camel Crickets caught in glue traps for mice

These are Camel Crickets or Cave Crickets.  They need dark, damp locations to live and reproduce.  Indoors, they are found in basements where they may eat paper and fabric.  Though we don’t normally provide extermination advice, many of our readers ask how to rid their homes of Camel Crickets.  Your photo says it all.

Camel Cricket in Glue Trap

Camel Cricket in Glue Trap

4 Responses to Camel Crickets caught in glue traps for mice

1. Jennifer R. says:

Now I know what to call them. I just always called them spider crickets because that’s what they looked like to me. I’m am absolutely terrified of these things. When I was little and would stay with my Grandparents I always found them in the bathroom. I don’t know if it was just me and the fact that I was very young but I swear these things were aggressive and chased me. I see one today and head the other way.

Your comment is amusing. Camel Crickets are perfectly harmless, though they can jump, sometimes great distances, and their appearance can be startling.

2. JoJo says:

Harmless or not..death to camel crickets!! I hate them ;p

3. Christine says:

How do I get rid of them