six leg, flying, single fang insect
October 21, 2009
Hi guys, This insect has been hanging around my house for a few days now 10/21/2009. I live in a suburb of Pittsburgh PA. Current temp is 60 ish. The insect was found clinging to a window screen, it also like painted block walls. The body from tail to the tip of the head is 1.5″ long. It seems to have a single “fang” and it does fly (not very gracefully). Can you tell me what it is?
Jim Holman
Munhall PA

Wheel Bug

Wheel Bug

Nevermind
Jim Holman to bugman
October 21, 2009
Sorry I was so quick on the trigger. I just submitted a request to id an insect or BUG in this case. I did find the insect on your site. I wasn’t sure how to search for it but using the word armored did the trick. I’m refering to the wheel bug. You may keep/use the images I sent if you like them.
Jim Holman
Pittsburgh PA

Wheel Bug

Wheel Bug

Hi Jim,
We are happy to see that you identified your Wheel Bug and sent us a cancellation of the identification request within eleven minutes.  We are posting your letter for two reasons.  First it demonstrates the efficiency of our search engine even without having any knowledge of insects, and we hope our readership makes use of it.  Secondly, your photos are quite good and very illustrative of this large species of Assassin Bug.  This is the only image we have ever received of a Wheel Bug with its wings expanded for flight.  Though Wheel Bugs are not prone to biting humans, they can produce a painful bite with that piercing mouth.

One Response to Wheel Bug

1. […] projection on the thorax.  You can find numerous images of adult Wheel Bugs on our website, including this example dating back to October 2009.  Wheel Bugs and Stink Bugs are both True Bugs in the suborder […]