Please help ID this insect
October 20, 2009
Monday morning in our Fine Art Gallery I opened up at 8:30 Am and found this brown and tan friend walking across the oriental rug in gallery 3. I moved him outside and he flew away. Tuesday morning comes around and there it is again walking across the same rug.
JB
Connecticut

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi JB,
At this time of year we receive scores of reports of Western Conifer Seed Bugs entering homes to escape the cold.  We are amused that your individual is an art appreciator.  Western Conifer Seed Bugs are harmless.

7 Responses to Western Conifer Seed Bug appreciates fine art rugs

1. Kristy says:

I wanted to comment on this bug. I live in Ct as well in an apt complex and my apt has tons of them in there. They fly and are near windows and tend to go near the lamps. I complained to the apt office several times they told me that their is nothing to get rid of them with and they would have to seal up cracks and any a/c units. They come in near winter and come from pine trees. I hate them any other assistance on this would be great.

2. Daiquirii says:

I’m also from CT and am experiencing my first fall with these bugs. The first one I found in my bathroom late at night, it got a trip down a toilet, but not before spraying that awful smell. I didn’t bother to find out what it was then.
    ………………………………………………….
    Tonight I had another encounter, though this one was unseen. My boyfriend and i were watching tv and all of a sudden we heard an insect thrashing around. Then the smell hit me, and I instantly recognized it. Boyfriend didn’t smell anything, so I tried to describe it. It smelled like an unripe banana peel, and he recognized it then. Decided to find out what it was this time, and after a bit of googling I found out it was this guy.
    —————————————–
    Just wish I knew where tonight’s invader went. Now I know its not harmful, but I’d rather not have it getting spooked and spraying regularly.

3. mbiller says:

I found one of these guys on one of my flowers and took a picture of it. I live in Northern Ohio and have lived here for 56 years and have never seen one before. I do have several pine trees around in the neighborhood. Love your site! I have been here a few times to identify critters. I was going to post a picture I took of him, but am not sure how to do it

4. I have had these in my home every Spring and every Fall for the last 4 to 5 years. I am invaded with them. They are everywhere and do find them in my hair or on me at times. The most frightening of was on one morning I was awakened with a pinkish one on the edge of my mouth. I had to pull to get it off and it left a big blister-like sore that took a week to heal. I wished I could get them out of my home. I catch them and keep them in a covered jar until they have expired. So, I do not think they are harmless. Sorry to disagree….my personal opinion.

• JoJo says:

I’m truly sorry of your experience with this bug.
      I do have them also in the winter season…but maybe one
      at the time. I never had a problem with it.

The blister on your month could be also cold sore…
      since this bugs do not bite.

• JoJo says:

since this bugs do not bite.