caterpillar
October 19, 2009
Funky worm… you know what it is?
Doug
My backyard on the island of Maui, HI.

Oleander Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Oleander Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Hi Doug,
It doesn’t appear to be feeding on oleander, but it looks like an Oleander Hawkmoth Caterpillar.  According to Bill Oehlke’s website, in addition to oleander, the caterpillar is also known to feed on “Minor hostplants are Vinca, Vitis, Gardenia, Asclepias, Jasminum, Trachelospermum, Amsonia, Carissa, Tabernaemontana, Mangifera, Rhazya, Adenium, Catharanthus, Ipomoea and Thevetia. Larvae will also feed on Ligustrum ovalifolium in captivity.

One Response to Oleander Hawkmoth Caterpillar

1. DraginInk says:

In that photo I was relocating the little guy from my landlords “fancy plant” to something less… uh… desirable with a plumeria leaf. It seemed to like the plumeria just fine and when I checked on it in the morning the only sign he was around was a few half eaten leaves from the fallen branch I put it on.
    I was thinking the early bird got the worm until I read here that these guys do their thing in the dirt. I hope to see it in all it’s winged glory soon, if in fact that early bird ate elsewhere.
    Thanks for the ID and a very cool site.
    Aloha,
    Doug