what is this insect?
October 17, 2009
In late summer 2006, I started noticing some kind of unidentified roach-like bug in the garden & around the house.
Observed in daylight, doesn’t run to avoid light. Body is ~6 mm long, semi-translucent, with darker brown stripes lengthwise down the back side of body, and one central brown stripe. Feelers approx as long as body, 2 mandible-type extensions near base of feelers, 6 legs, rearmost legs longest, with hairy extensions on them, two spikey extensions at rear end. Body is segmented, no obvious wings. A captured one was observed to have a very large object attached to it, which it eventually shed after about a day (at right). Is this some kind of egg case?
(see attached jpg images)
Thank you, JD
Petaluma, California

Cockroach

Cockroach

Hi JD,
This is a species of Cockroach, and we believe it is Phyllodromica trivittata, a Mediterranean import that BugGuide reports from California.  BugGuide has this comment:  “Known from dry habitats around the Mediterranean. It has been recorded from Morocco; Algeria; Spain; Italy (Sardinia Island); Italy (Sicily); Libya; and Israel. Given that it has not been recorded as being a pest in buildings in those countries (as far as I’m aware) it is unlikely to invade buildings in the USA. Comment by George Beccaloni (The Natural History Museum, London, UK).
”  In many species of Cockroaches, the female carries the ootheca, or egg case, and your description and photograph support this, though that photo is a bit blurry and we will not be posting it.  The Cockroach Forum has some nice images.

Cockroach

Cockroach

3 Responses to Cockroach

1. Alanna says:

We saw these cockroaches all over Lake Sonoma Liberty Glenn Campround in Sonoma County. I saw them in the campground bathroom/showers and the camp sites peripherally. I accidentally brought one home in my backpack. Should I worry about them infesting my home?

2. Erik says:

We had a bunch of these in my folk’s house north of Santa Rosa about the same as this was posted. Saw them for a few weeks and then they up and disappeared. They were pretty cute when we discovered they were adults and not nymphs.