Is it a beetle? They’re all over!
October 11, 2009
I live in Ocean Twp, Monmouth County, New Jersey. These bugs showed up in September and are so abundant that you can’t walk outside without one flying into you. They are on my screens, in the pine trees, hiding in the mandevilla and skip laurel, walking on the patio, and of course… in my house (from the screen door that my 7 year old forgets to close). I’m concerned that they are going to destroy my recently landscaped yard, but I don’t know what they are or if they are harmful to vegetation. Even my landscaper isn’t familiar with them. As you can see, they have a pretty pattern on their body… browns, black and white. They fly and are in all different sizes in my yard.
I’ve searched the internet to no avail to figure out that they are. Any help would be much appreciated.
Michele in Wayside
Ocean, Monmouth County, NJ

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi Michele,
Each autumn, we get numerous letters requesting that we identify the Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis.  This species often enters homes to hibernate.  It is a species native to the Pacific Northwest, but since the 1970s, there have been an increasing number of reports from Eastern North America, and the species has spread significantly, expanding its range for the past four decades.