Orange and Green Spider
October 11, 2009
I found this spider ON MY 8 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER! I have seen similar spiders outside our home at night but without the green diamond on the body. I live in Miami, Florida, USA. Please identify this spider so I can either find an exterminator or leave my worries behind!
Cristi Cuadrado
Miami, Florida, USA

Orbweaver:  Araneus detrimentosus

Orbweaver: Araneus detrimentosus

Hi Cristi,
We quickly identified your spider as Araneus detrimentosus, a harmless Orbweaver, on BugGuide.  While we would hesitate to claim that this spider will never bite, we have not gotten any reports of anyone being bitten by a member of the genus Araneus.  If the spider was on your daughter, it was undoubtedly a chance encounter.  We would not trouble with an exterminator in this instance, and we truly believe that exposure to pesticides at a tender age would be far more detrimental to your daughter than facing the extremely unlikely odds that this spider, which is not very well represented in images and is probably not terribly common, will bite your daughter or a member of the family.

Probable Correction:  July 26, 2013
One of our readers wrote in believing this might be a Tropical Orbweaver,
Eriophora ravilla.  This seems to be a highly variable spider according to the Featured Creatures website, and the green form looks very much like the submitted photograph.  BugGuide also has the occasional photograph of a green individual.

Location: Miami, Florida

2 Responses to Probably Tropical Orbweaver

1. Nathan Newlon says:

I believe you may be mistaken on the ID of the spider in the picture sent in by Cristi back in October of 2009. She described it as an orange and green spider that she had found on her baby in Miami, FL. You identified it as Araneus detrimentosus, a green orb weaver. After studying the image and comparing it to other photos of A. detrimentosus, I searched for other possible candidates. I believe that it is more likely to be a juvenile form of Eriophora ravilla, a tropical orb weaver. This does not change the advice you gave to Cristi, which I believe to be sound, but I thought you and others searching the web trying to ID this spider might like to give the tropical orb weaver a look before concluding which spider you actually have.